Today was a free day, but Ismail took those of us interested to the silver jewelry co-op. Teenage students learn to do filigree and engrave over 2 years. There were beautiful things in the store and I bought myself a bracelet.
Then, a few of us went to the fish market for lunch. We chose our seafood from the seller, they weighed it, sold it to us, and then we took it to one of the "restaurants" behind the stands and gave our bag to the griller. He cooked the food for us and returned it to us on a plate. We had to separate out the parts that we wanted to eat; remove the head, skin, bones. Love the experience. Amanda started out in the group, but bailed on us, choosing to go eat pasta instead.
The rest of the day we wandered the souk, shopping and people watching. Some guy offered me a thousand camels. Thank you very much!
I chose not to go to dinner that night, 3 meals per day was catching up with me. Too much eating.
Essaouira is a much different place that those we had experienced so far, generally more upscale, less crowded, more laid back. Being more of a resort area I guess this makes sense. If I was ever to return to Morocco, this is where I would go.
No comments:
Post a Comment