We walked through the old town with the usual European town
square and the narrow walking streets full of holiday sights, entertainment,
and shoppers. LOVE! We were convinced to take a small van tour rather than the
cable car up The Rock. St. Michaels Cave was amazing. I’m not sure I can even
explain it. It’s a huge space like an auditorium with stalagmites and stalagtites
forming beautiful columns, and it is, in fact, used for concerts. I would love
to be there for one.
Then we went to where the government feeds the Barbery apes. They were
everywhere. The apes are all tagged, so the tour operator knows their names. He
tells you to hold your arms out and the ape will jump into your arms. Photo op
time! I think the tour guide had a banana in his hand, but I didn’t see him
give it to them. The tour guide carries a stick in case the apes misbehave. There
were some steps you could walk up where you could look to your left down to
the Mediterranean Sea and to the right down to the Atlantic Ocean. Confession
time: We were told not to touch the apes, but I couldn’t resist. There were 2
apes on a wall checking each other’s fur. I was right next to them and touched
the one next to me lightly on the back. Nothing happened, so I petted him a
little more. The other ape saw me and jumped over and bit me on the wrist. Didn’t
go through my jacket or skin, just feels a little bruised.
Then we went to the Moorish castle where we had a great view
from the top across the Strait of Gibraltar to Morocco.
Gibraltar is having a problem with the apes coming down into
town and driving the residents crazy. Tourists are not to feed the apes, but
somehow they know there is food to be found in town. After our tour, back down
off the rock, there is a small park/cemetery. There were about 4 apes in there
eating berries that had fallen off a tree onto the ground. (Why don’t they
climb the trees to get them?) I was taking pictures of them and one jumped onto
Amanda’s back. She was not even aware that it had been behind her. She has a
red mark on her arm where it clawed her. Then closer to town, a gentleman pointed
us down a side street where there were apes. We walked down and there were
dumpsters near where 3 apes were on peoples balconies. One had a whole
baguette.
Dinner in a very British
pub. Fish and chips for me!
Gibraltar has its own money. Same value as the British
pound, but the money says Gibraltar on it, and has Gibraltar scenes/symbols.
No comments:
Post a Comment