Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Day 15-December 23, 2013: "We're gonna need a bigger boat", OR "I just ate Ismail's tip"

We woke up to a decent breakfast, actually the usual breakfast, of hard boiled eggs, bread, jelly, honey, coffee, tea, orange juice, with the addition of Nesquik (YAY) and a hazelnut spread.
I couldn't wait to get out of there, though. I was tired of the cold and anxious to end this part of our tour. We walked back down the mountain to meet our van in Imlil. This town was full of shops selling supplies for the climbers going all the way to the summit of the Atlas Mountains.
We stopped at a grocery store to pick up food for a picnic lunch. Our picnic was amongst Eucalyptus trees on benches and tables made of concrete. Interesting.
We then stopped at a women's cooperative for Argon Oil. We watched the women working and were shown all of the products made from Argon Oil. They were really expensive. We didn't buy anything.
Our destination was Essaouira, a resort area on the Atlantic Ocean.
Our guide told us he liked Essaouira, even though it was full of hippies. He kept talking about curly hair, and we realized he was talking about dreadlocks. He was right. It was kinda hippyish. Fun.
Anyway, we were staying in the Souk, the open air market of shops.  The difference between a souk and a medina, is a medina is a place where locals both work and live. Men with wooden carts wheeled our luggage to the hotel.
We were all anxious to take showers, since the previous night no one would have removed one bit of clothing. We probably went from temps in the 30's to temps in the 60's. I discreetly removed layers while in the van, even my pants to take off my long underwear. Had to be done. Also, 2 pairs of socks down to none and 3 shirts and a jacket down to one shirt.
This hotel had a room with a toilet and a little room with a shower, so the whole room was the shower. Amanda took the 1st shower and told me the water wasn't draining. I waited a while and then walked into the water. After a while Amanda yelled "turn off the water! You're flooding the room!" I quickly rinsed my hair and turned the water off. She was not exaggerating. I quickly dressed and went down to the desk to confess. Two well dressed guys came up to the room with a squeegee, a bucket and a couple of towels. They showed me that you need to push down on the center of the drain and it pops open. OOPS. They were trying to tell me that they usually keep it closed because of the smile.  When I didn't understand, I eventually figured out they were trying to say smell. We all had a laugh, but I was a little embarrassed by what Amanda and I had done.
At 6pm we were still in our rooms and we heard the familiar call to worship, but A HUNDRED TIMES LOUDER.  Apparently, our hotel is really close to the mosque. So we knew we would have a 6am wake up call!
We all went to dinner at a restaurant with white tablecloths and cloth napkins. It was quite a culture shock from our previous restaurants. The waiter brought a chalk board over with a long list of specials written in French. He didn't speak much English, but could basically translate the board. The last 2 items were lobster, one for 105MAD and one for 125MAD (Moroccan Dirham), or around $13-$15. It also said 100 grams, which he pointed out, but of course, it meant nothing to me. I guess I figured that was the size of the lobster. this was a really low price for lobster, but we were on the ocean, so it made sense. I'm guessing you can figure out what's coming next. When the bill came, it turns out the price was per 100 grams, and my lobster cost about $65! I was horrified. We had been doing great with our spending so far, nothing to feel guilty about.  

2 comments:

  1. Forgot to mention; when I asked the waiter the difference between the 2 different lobster entrees, I couldn't understand, so he left and came back with a live lobster in each hand! One had claws and the other had spiny things that you can't eat. By the way, one other person made the same mistake as me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And no one ordered tagine for dinner!

    ReplyDelete